Defined Benefit Pension Summary Plan Description

17. How will a divorce affect my pension?

Your ex-spouse may obtain a court order called a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). Under the terms of a QDRO, a portion of your pension may be assigned by a court to your ex-spouse (referred to as an alternate payee) as part of a divorce settlement.

The Board of Trustees has approved a model form QDRO. If this pre-approved form is used, the Administrative Office has been authorized to treat the QDRO as qualified and to transmit the appropriate notices to the Participant and alternate payee. Your attorney can obtain a copy of the model form QDRO and QDRO procedures from the Trust Fund's attorney.

If the model form QDRO is not used, the QDRO will be sent to the Trust Fund's attorney to provide advice to the Board of Trustees as to whether or not they should treat the QDRO as being qualified under the provisions of federal law, taking into account the provisions of the Plan. The Board of Trustees will then make a final decision and notify you of their decision.

Separate QDROs are required for the Southern California IBEW-NECA Pension Plan and the Southern California IBEW-NECA Defined Contribution Plan.