Retiree Health Summary Plan Description
As of February 1, 2018
En Español (PDF)
5.6 Covered Benefits
The Mandatory Generic Prescription Drug Plan covers the following services and materials:
- Federal legend drugs: Any medicinal substance which bears the legend, "Caution: Federal law prohibits dispensing without a prescription;"
- State-restricted drugs: Any medicinal substance, which may be dispensed by prescription only according to state law;
- Federal legend oral contraceptives and birth control pills;
- Contraceptive products, including, but not limited to diaphragms, cervical caps, Depo-Provera™ injections and Ortho-Evra™ patches;
- Inhaler extender devices and bags (e.g. Aerochamber™, Aerochamber™ with mask, Easivent™, Inspirsease™, EZ-Spacer™, Optichamber™, Optihaler™, Ellipse™);
- Anaphylaxis prevention kits, including, but not limited to, Epi-Pen™, Epi-Pen Jr.™, Ana-Kits™, Ana-Kit Jr.™, Glucagon™, Glucagon Emergency Kit™, and Ana-Guard™;
- Compounds with at least one federal legend or state-restricted ingredient;
- Normal saline for inhalation and irrigation;
- Prescription prenatal vitamins; and
- Injectables (see also Exclusions for exceptions).
The following non-prescription items are also covered when prescribed in writing by a physician and dispensed by a licensed pharmacist:
- Insulin, insulin syringes and needles;
- Blood glucose test strips;
- Urine glucose test strips;
- Sterile lancets; and
- Novolin™ pen, Humulin™ pen, pre-filled pens, pen needles and cartridges.